Starting a family can be an exciting time. However, it can also be a period of change that impacts your lifelong economic security.
In Australia, women frequently take extended parental leave. Men often do not have access or support to take time off, even if they want to.
Many employers offer paid parental leave for primary or secondary carers in addition to the government’s paid parental leave scheme, however it is not a legal requirement for them to do so.
- Check your employer’s parental leave policy and entitlements – and ask your partner to do the same
- Understand how leave will affect your superannuation
- Find out what support your employer offers for returning to work from parental leave
- Be proactive about asking for flexible work arrangements
- Be supportive of women and men in your workplace who work flexibly.