The Workplace Gender Equality Act 2012 requires non-public sector employers with 100 or more employees (‘relevant employers’) to submit a report to the Workplace Gender Equality Agency between 1 April and 31 May each year for the preceding 12-month period (1 April – 31 March each year).
When reporting, all employees (headcount, not full-time equivalent) should be counted across all subsidiaries employing staff in Australia, this includes:
- casual and
- temporary employees of the employer
Independent contractors (ie. not employed by the organisation) are not included in the headcount.
If a relevant employer has previously reported and its number of employees falls below 100, it must continue to report until employee numbers fall below 80 for six months or more of the particular reporting period. The six months do not have to be consecutive months.
Organisations that form a corporate group: the 100 or more employees’ threshold applies to the combined total of employees in Australia of the parent corporation plus the employees in Australia of any subsidiaries.
For information regarding other structures including joint ventures please refer to our reference guide found at the bottom of this page.
Before reporting to the Agency:
- You will need a standard AUSkey linked to the ABN of the organisation submitting the report
- When you have access to the secure WGEA portal you will need to check your organisation's details are current and update any outdated information via the ‘Organisation’ tab
- You can view our resources to acquaint yourself with how to collect and report your data to the Agency
If your organisation has not reported its data previously you will need to register with the Agency to be set up to do so:
- Please download the New Organisation Cover Sheet found below and fill out with the required information about the organisation submitting the report along with information on any parent or subsidiary in your group that has employees - you can send completed forms to
- Alternatively, you can log in with your AUSkey to the secure portal and this will prompt you to provide information for an organisation that has not previously reported.
If your organisation has reported previously but this is the first time that you will be submitting a report for an organisation:
- You will need your own standard AUSkey linked to the ABN of the organisation submitting the report to the Agency
- If your organisation has submitted a report previously you can access the submission by navigating to the previous years in the ‘Reporting’ tab
- If you are unsure about what to do please see our Resources on what data you are collecting and how to submit the compliance report online
Please email email@example.com if you have questions or cannot find an answer to your query in our resource section.